How to fix an iPhone stuck in recovery mode. As it appears to be a common problem. I thought I’d share a few methods of how to kick an iPhone out of recovery mode.
An iPhone can sometimes get stuck in recovery mode if:
- You intentionally activated recovery mode to solve a problem
- You’re trying to jailbreak your iPhone and it all went terribly wrong
- Like many of us – you were simply trying to update to the latest iOS software
Here are our suggested methods of recovery if your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode:
Option A – Tiny Umbrella
Option B – iTunes Restore
Typically if your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode, this automatically means you have to kiss goodbye your current iPhone data and settings. The general method of recovery for an iPhone stuck in recovery mode is an iTunes restore – great if you have recently performed an iTunes backup, tragic if you have not. If your last iTunes backup was a while ago, you risk losing any data added to your device since your last iTunes backup.
However, there is now a software that claims to get your iPhone out of recovery mode, without causing data loss (this method has also been known to work on a pesky iPad or iPod Touch stuck in recovery mode). Just follow the steps below to kick your device out of recovery mode.
If you’d rather stick to the traditional iTunes method of recovery, scroll down to Option B and follow the prompts to recover any data obtained after your last iTunes backup.
Option A – Fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode with Tiny Umbrella
Tiny Umbrella is a program that backs up your iOS firmware SHSH blobs. It comes highly recommended by Softpediaand CNET. While there is no guarantee that you definitely won’t lose your iPhone data during this process, there’s always a way to recover deleted iPhone data, from your device or iPhone backup file, just in case.
- Download Tiny Umbrella choosing either the Windows or Mac version.
- While your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode, connect it to the computer using your iPhone USB cable.
- Open Tiny Umbrella and after a few moments it will recognise your device, it will also register that your iPhone is in recovery mode.
- Once the software has recognised your iPhone is in recovery mode, the ‘Exit Recovery’ button below will become active. Click this button to kick your iPhone out of recovery mode.
After this, your device should begin to boot up normally.
Option B – Fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode with iTunes Restore*
*Please note if you follow this method of fixing an iPhone stuck in recovery mode, all the data and settings on the iPhone will be erased before restoration. Your device will be restored to your last iTunes backup. However there is a way to recover deleted data directly from your iPhone when this happens. This way you will be able to recover data obtained since your last iTunes backup.
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. To do this, open iTunes and click Help in the main menu. Then select Check for Updates, iTunes will then tell you if you are using the latest version. You may need to download the latest iTunes version before you continue.
- Hold the home button down (on the front of your iPhone) and connect the device to your laptop/PC while iTunes is open. A message should pop up and say that your iPhone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored.
- Click on your device (in the iTunes windows) along the main toolbar, then go to the Summary tab.
- Select the restore option.
- Follow the prompts in iTunes to backup your iPhone settings.
- Restore your iPhone back to its previous settings.
Update: OPTION C [Recommended]
HOW TO FIX IPHONE 6/6 Plus / 5S / 5C / 5 / 4S / 4 STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE
IPhone stuck in an annoying loop recovery. Most iOS users choose not to restore the iPhone, as it will lose important photos, contacts, messages, etc. or no backup files for the device. To exit this issue, you can try 2 methods:
Using Home and Power buttons: If the Home and Power buttons of your iPhone are in good working condition, you can have a try on 2 buttons to get out of iPhone recovery mode.
Or using ReiBoot: If iPhone is stuck in recovery mode not recognized by iTunes, Home or Power broken buttons, iPhone on black screen, or you do not have iTunes (iTunes you have used to sync with iPhone), you can use this most professional freeware, ReiBoot , For your iPhone stuck in recovery mode. Many users have told us that they have successfully tried ReiBoot to get out of iPhone recovery mode without losing data when updating to iOS 8.
USE THE HOME AND POWER BUTTONS TO REMOVE THE STOPPED IPHONE IN RECOVERY MODE
- Keep pressing the Home and Power buttons for about 15 seconds at the same time. This will shut down the iPhone.
- Then press the Power button to boot iPhone.
If you tried the Power button and Home button but can not work, use ReiBoot.
JUST TWO CLICK TO FIX THE STUCKED IPHONE IN RECOVERY MODE WITH REIBOOT
Download ReiBoot now:
- Connect iPhone stuck in recovery mode for computer with USB cable.
- Download, install and run ReiBoot on your Windows 8.1 / 8/7 / XP / Vista.
- Click “Enter Recovery Mode” and then “Exit Recovery Mode”. Your iPhone will restart
Tested on Windows work 100%
If you have any other methods to kick your iPhone out of recovery mode, let me know!
I’ll be happy to help! 🙂